Estrangement from parents: process, ongoing.

Before posting a new topic, make sure a similar one doesn't already exist here or in another forum thread more specific to the issue.

Estrangement from parents: process, ongoing.

Postby oak » November 7th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Hi friends.

For reasons that I don't care to share right now (too fresh/painful), the needle is moving towards estrangement from my parents. (The needle is certainly not moving towards a whole, mature, kind, new relationship with my parents.)

If this will happen, how it will happen, or what the new normal will look like, I don't know.

I do know that the relationship with my parents is either extremely damaged or non-existent.

I will post here in the future. It is important, and helpful, for me to use my words because doing so changes toxic, old thoughts into new words, visible on the reality of my screen here.

For today, this is enough to say, and I am Enough.

Thank you for listening.
"Work is love made visible." -Kahlil Gibran

"We gotta make a decision: leave tonight or live and die this way." -Tracy Chapman
oak

Re: Estrangement from parents: process, ongoing.

Postby brownblob » November 7th, 2017, 7:26 pm

We must take care of ourselves. I encourage you to do whatever is best for you in the long run.
"I don't like people much and they don't much like me." John Nash A Beautiful Mind
"Self knowledge is a dangerous thing--The freedom of who you are" Lou Reed
brownblob

Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: .

Postby rivergirl » November 8th, 2017, 7:00 pm

You always have my support, Oak.

Take care,

rivergirl
rivergirl

Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Postby oak » November 11th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Thank you for your encouagement, Brownblob and Rivergirl.

If I may bookend:

I am about to have a conversation with my parents that will go a long way to determining the future, including if I'll have a relationship with them.

I feel scared. I feel excitement knowing that getting to a denouement will bring clarity.

Frankly, considering the challenges I am facing in my life I can't afford to be arguing with my parents. I don't have time for negativity.

I'll bookend here after the conversation.

-----

Edit:

I had the conversation, and it went well.

Besides clearing the air for some important topics, this gives me one less crisis to worry about. I have a number of other pressing issues, some very important one. Happily now sturm und drang with my parents is now not one of them. I hope to use this reclaimed positive emotional space and energy to positive ends.

I am relieved. Once again, using my words, in a direct, plain, and kind way has worked out.

Thanks for listening.
"Work is love made visible." -Kahlil Gibran

"We gotta make a decision: leave tonight or live and die this way." -Tracy Chapman
oak

Return to Family Troubles