Making the jump to support groups

To start a discussion, post a new topic.

Re: Making the jump to support groups

Postby BreakingTraining77 » August 5th, 2016, 9:58 am

Under 2 weeks from being 20 years sober.

Your addiction will give you a thousand reasons NOT to go and they'll sound legit until the second you walk into your first meeting. I remember the doors seeming they were six football fields away until I was finally able to tell that voice saying "blow this scene, you don't even need it" to shut the fuck up. I was expecting a 1930's Hollywood version of a soup kitchen, scraggy men in tattered clothes but found everyday people milling outside, having a smoke and shooting the shit. I went in and that was that.

Give it a try, what the worst that could happen?
BreakingTraining77

Issues: Bi Polar Disorder, Alcoholism, Self Esteem Issues.
preferred pronoun: He

Postby HowDidIGetHere » September 6th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Just wondering how things were progressing for everyone in this thread. I'm still trying to get back into support groups myself, so maybe I'm also looking for some encouragement. :)
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
HowDidIGetHere

Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Postby savneetkaur » May 8th, 2017, 4:59 am

I remember being in a meeting with a guy who had an old warrant..for murder. The police waited outside the door, and questioned all of us as we left. No one gave up the guy.
savneetkaur

Issues: nothing
preferred pronoun: she

Postby bigeekgirl » December 29th, 2017, 1:45 pm

It took me 7 years of MentalPod, two therapists and an old fashioned nervous breakdown with mild psychosis to finally show up at a support group. I'm an adult child of adult children of alcoholics who divorced a mentally ill ACA after a decade of marriage. I have my own mental illnesses, a dusting of food addiction and a lifetime of co-dependent behavior.
I've only missed one week since August. It helps. I was skeptical, but it's true. I'd told my therapist I was afraid of the group becoming the "thing" I needed, what my life would be about. I'm not afraid anymore but I was right about that.
bigeekgirl

Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, overeating
preferred pronoun: she

Previous

Return to Addictive Substances