What does DD feel like for you?

What does DD feel like for you?

Postby studiousstrwbry » July 25th, 2016, 6:21 pm

My therapist just today confirmed that I have DD episodes. I was wondering what it feels like for other people. For me, it feels like I'm playing one of those first-person-shooter games, where I can see my hands and the things around me, but it's like I'm watching it through a screen.
studiousstrwbry

Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Depersonalization, PTSD, Abuse
preferred pronoun: She/Her

Re: What does DD feel like for you?

Postby 19lesley64 » August 19th, 2016, 7:02 am

Hi,

I seem to have variations, I have a bad one at Christmas when I saw my parents (a trigger), I remember my emotional focus (I can only describe it as this) becoming smaller and smaller like the aperture on a camera. I could see everything but I could only focus on specific areas and not everything as a whole. I sat with some of my family who surrounded me, preventing my parents getting close, and I could only concentrate on my cousin's mouth as she talked to me. I think this was just to keep conscious, as I thought I may totally black out.

The other day I saw my mother shopping so I decided just to leave the store, as I left I felt again I was blacking out but not enough to totally become overwhelming like the previous Christmas. This time is was more on a whole and I was more aware of my surroundings. I drove home as was explaining to my daughter what was happening and I knew what was happening but this was more subtle although unsettling.

This is the first time I have had to explain this and it is quite difficult.
19lesley64

Issues: PTSD. Panic Attacks. Emotional neglect.
preferred pronoun: She

Postby prickly_peach » October 7th, 2016, 10:58 am

Depersonalization for me feels like I am watching a movie. I do not feel any part of my body. My mind wanders, but I see and feel absolutely nothing. Nothing makes me feel better until the episode passes. After it passes, I can recognize and remember what was going on around me. But I am completely unaware of anything while it is occurring.
prickly_peach

Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Depersonalization, Rape, Molestation, Suicidal Ideation
preferred pronoun: she

Postby CausticBanana » October 9th, 2016, 9:02 pm

It feels like I'm floating along side my body. I can't focus on anything or think, and sometimes during an episode, I won't be able to focus on anything visually. I feel a complete disconnect from the world and the people around me. I can't carry conversations or process information. I feel dead and empty. I used to use cutting as a way to snap myself out of it, and occasionally if it's really bad I still do. Most of the time I really struggle to remember the things I do and experience in that state. I don't black out, I just... block out, I guess.
CausticBanana

Issues: Anxiety, PTSD, OCD, Bipolar 2, Dissociation
preferred pronoun: She

Postby alex8525 » January 12th, 2017, 12:07 am

Desolation. It feels a little strange because I don't feel anything and things don't really have meaning. I feel completely alone during these periods and notice the futility in everything. There's a stillness to it that is both soothing and a little unnerving at the same time. I don't know what to think about these episodes really. It kinda just happens from time to time.
alex8525

Issues: dysthymia, mild depression, social anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Return to Depersonalization Disorder